[spcollig] Compact shelving

David Malone david.malone at wheaton.edu
Thu Aug 26 09:39:34 CDT 2010

At Wheaton College we have had experience with two vendors for compact/moveable shelving. The first foray was with Nordplan. The quality of the product, especially for materials housed in a circulating collection was not at the level needed. We actually had a range tip and create a domino effect. We went through the costly expense of replacing all of the shelving with SpaceSaver. We have been pleased. This shelving is used in our general collection and our special collections. We have tens-of-thousands of feet of shelving using SpaceSaver. We have a mixture of mechanical and electric assist. Both have worked flawlessly, something we couldn't have said before. In the Special Collections we have cantilever and post and rail. Our book shelving is 53' long (semi-trailer length) and works very well. The installation is solid and our experience has been great. Our vendor is Bradford Systems.

David B. Malone, MLIS, CA
Assistant Professor and Head of Archives & Special Collections
Wheaton College
501 College Ave.
Wheaton IL 60187-5593
630.752.5707  | 630.752.5987 FAX