[spcollig] Collection Development policy and development officers

Pamela Hackbart-Dean phdean at lib.siu.edu
Wed Jul 14 16:42:36 CDT 2010

Our Rare Book librarian attended a discussion group at ALA about special
collections collection development policies.  One of the big topics of
discussion was how to use the collection development policy to
"collaborate" with development officers.  One of the suggestions that
she really liked was to create an addendum to the policy enumerating the
costs involved in processing and storing newly acquired or donated
materials, to help explain costs vs. benefits to development officers,
administrators, and potential donors.

We're currently revising our own policy, I thought this would be a nice
addition.  I was wondering if any of you might of examples of policies
that include this and would be willing to share.  We have a draft of
what we are thinking about including but would love other ideas.

Pam Hackbart-Dean, C. A.
Director, Special Collections Research Center
Morris Library
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
PH:  618-453-1452        FAX:  618-453-3451