[spcollig] Insurance value of collections

Melissa A Hubbard mhubbard at lib.siu.edu
Fri Aug 10 10:05:38 CDT 2012

Hi all,

SIUC has recently reclassed rare books and manuscripts as "fine art"
rather than "library holdings" for insurance purposes. This seems to
make sense, as our collections are unique and irreplaceable. As part of
this process, our risk management folks would like us to provide an
appraisal value of the collection. Obviously a full professional
appraisal would require a huge commitment of financial reasons, so
that's not a realistic option for us. We also don't have enough staff to
conduct an internal appraisal of every item and collection. I wonder if
any others have dealt with this issue. Have any of you determined a
formula to estimate the value of collections without actually conducting
an appraisal?

Thanks,

Melissa

Melissa Hubbard

Rare Book Librarian, Assistant Professor

Special Collections Research Center

Morris Library, Mail Code 6632

Southern Illinois University Carbondale

Ph: 618-453-3269