[spcollig] identifying types of illustrations

Sarah Horowitz sarahhorowitz at augustana.edu
Tue Aug 14 10:58:27 CDT 2012

Dear Mary,

Gascoigne's book is a good resource; I also recommend the Graphics
Atlas: http://www.graphicsatlas.org/, especially the comparative
feature.  For a historical take on illustration in the 19th century,
John Harthan's /History of the Illustrated Book /is excellent.  He is
also better on dates than Gascoigne, which can be helpful in ruling out
processes.  If you need more resources, I recommend the reading lists
for the courses on illustration at Rare Book School have some good
recommendations: http://www.rarebookschool.org/courses/.

Sarah

--
Sarah Horowitz