[spcollig] Need referrral to someone who has expertise in videooral histories

Pamela Hackbart-Dean phdean at lib.siu.edu
Wed Feb 15 13:27:02 CST 2012

Dear Mary,

The SAA OH project put together the following options for staff to price
out in 2010. I did my research by querying the OHA listserv and going to
the oral history association website under "technology." Hope this
helps!

1. Video

Camera/camcorder options:

Sony HVR-Z1U 3CCD HDV/DVCAM/DV camera

Canon CAXHA1 HDV CAMCORDER

Panasonic AG-DVX100B

---->note: don't forget to budget and purchase a supply of mini-DV
tapes, if you purchase a camcorder that uses those!

Microphones (both shotgun and lavalier):

Audio-Technica AT897 (riding shotgun mic)

RODE NTG-3 Shotgun Mic

Shure WL50-Series (lapel microphones)

Shure SM11 Lavalier Microphone

Tripods:
Manfrotto/Bogen 728B Digi Tripod

(or, other compatible recommendations)

Lighting:

Steve Kaeser 2250 WATT 3 LIGHT PBL CONTINUOUS HALOGEN PRODUCTION KIT

Arri compact light kit

---->note: we did not wind up buying a lighting kit but they help
tremendously, and, emphasis on the space and its use of lighting will
then become even more critical.

 I hope this helps.  Pam

Pam Hackbart-Dean, CA

Director, Special Collections Research Center

Southern Illinois University Carbondale

PH: 618.453-1452   FAX: 618.453.3440