[spcollig] new/remodeled archives/special collections facilities

Amanda Pippitt apippitt at mail.millikin.edu
Thu Feb 19 10:56:56 CST 2015

Hi everyone-
My library (4-year private university with an FTE around 2000, with one librarian acting as an archivist as part of her many other duties and one circulation staff member providing some additional archives assistance) is looking at a major building remodel within the next two years, including a complete overhaul of the building's archives and special collections space.  I have some books on the subject that have been very helpful, but I was hoping those on the list that have actually experienced such a remodel might be willing to share their advice for someone about to undergo such a project.

A few questions:

-In retrospect, what advice do you wish someone had given you before your remodel?
-What feature(s) do you wish had been incorporated into the space that was not?  Why was that feature not incorporated into the space (budget constraints? space constraints? unanticipated need?)
-What aspects of your remodel are you especially happy with that have been of great use to your staff and/or patrons?
-What advice would you give regarding communication with the various components of the remodel team? (architects, builders, local budget people, movers, etc.)
-Anything else you are interested in sharing?  I'd love to have any responders provide a link to pages with photos, if you have photos of your new space (or even before/after pictures) on your website.

thanks!!
-Amanda

Amanda Pippitt, Associate Professor
Access Services Coordinator, Research/Instruction Librarian, & Archivist
Staley Library, Millikin University
1184 West Main Street
Decatur, IL  62522

phone: 217-424-3957