[spcollig] Torah Scroll and Humidity

Lang, Esther erlang at tiu.edu
Tue Oct 3 11:35:52 CDT 2017

Good Morning,

Someone donated a 15th-century Torah scroll to Trinity International
University several years ago.  A glass enclosure was then built for it.
Unfortunately, the room where this enclosure was built has high humidity in
the summer.  Although the Torah is not the responsibility of the library,
it is housed in the library, so I was concerned about it.

I am not an archivist, so was not sure what the best step to take was,
since getting a new HVAC system was probably not going to happen anytime
soon.  In the meantime, we decided to install a dehumidifier in the room.
However, since the Torah is in a closed off section of the room, we placed
the dehumidifier in that enclosure, rather than in the main room itself.
Unfortunately, I soon realized that the dehumidifier lets off a lot of hot
air.  We have now decided to put a vent in the enclosure, so that some of
the hot air can escape.  However, I am not sure if this is the best
temporary solution?

Do you have any suggestions for us?  How do you deal with hot air produced
by dehumidifiers?

Thank You,

*Esther Lang*
Collection Management Librarian | Trinity International University
2065 Half Day Rd. | Deerfield, IL 60015
(847) 317-4009 | erlang at tiu.edu