[spcollig] Dehumidifier Question

Lang, Esther erlang at tiu.edu
Tue Jun 5 11:48:16 CDT 2018

 Hello,

I work at Trinity International University.  Our achives is located in the
basement of our library.  In November of 2016, we installed a SOLEUSAIR
dehumidifier (Model # DMC-115IP-210) down there.  Unfortunately, it just
broke due to a "Compressor Sensor Malfunction."  We need to replace it.
Because it broke after less than 2 years, we would like to investigate our
options before purchasing a new one.  We are not sure if the machine had a
malfunction, or if it was overworked because it is very humid in our
archives.  I would also like to note that our dehumidifier was set up so
that the water drained to a sump pump (meaning that we did not have to
manually empty the bucket).

What we would like to know is:

1. Do you have any dehumidifier recommendations?  To give you an idea of
the size of our archives, it contains about 1203 linear feet of material.

2. Should we purchase a heavy duty dehumidifier instead?

3. We noticed that our dehumidifier let out a lot of heat and made the room
hot.  Is that common for all dehumidifiers, or is there a way to solve that
problem?

Any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Esther

--
*Esther Lang*, MLIS
Collection Management Librarian | Trinity International University
(847) 317-4009 | erlang at tiu.edu