[spcollig] registration and agenda available for 2021 Special Libraries Association Midwest Symposium (Fri., June 4)

Edwards, Eric A EEdwards at ILSOS.GOV
Wed May 19 21:27:57 UTC 2021

Please excuse any cross-posting.

(via Dan Bostrom, SLA Illinois President-Elect)

It my distinct pleasure to announce the agenda for the 2021 SLA Midwest Symposium. This event takes place on Friday, June 4, 2021, from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM CDT. All sessions take place via Zoom Meeting. Registration for the event is available at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://connect.sla.org/events/event-description?CalendarEventKey=6fc6a98b-4adc-43fe-97d0-a254675149ed&CommunityKey=1b32d721-0d60-4718-bf1e-fc15e9c62c87&Home=*2fillinois*2fevents*2fcalendar__;JSUl!!DZ3fjg!ssfTKELPzABXP3vDM1zMI28JuFzH6n5SmwOE1eB7yXkYiEMHo8VK7sruYBieqMJFn2p3UuE$ .

Please see below for the meeting agenda.

2021 SLA Midwest Symposium
Friday, June 4, 2021
9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
All times Central

Agenda

Welcome & Community Updates
9:00 – 9:15 a.m.

Hear about updates from each of the following hosting communities:

•       SLA Indiana

•       SLA Iowa

•       SLA Michigan

•       SLA Illinois

Opening Keynote Session

Tara Murray Grove, SLA President
9:15 – 9:30 a.m.

SLA President Tara Murray Grove will present news and updates from the SLA Board of Directors. Tara will also talk about the new strategic plan, the learning hub, and the upcoming virtual conference.

Education Session 1

Comprehensive Database Reevaluation: Starting from Scratch - Impossible Task or Unique Opportunity
Nathan Aaron Rosen, Herrick Feinstein
9:30-10:00 a.m.

Save your firm money and gain a better collection of databases. Learn about an exceptional way to substantially change the variety and depth of database alternatives you have. Historically, librarians review and adjust contracts as each database expires. Sometimes it is possible to determine the entire universe of database contracts at one time. This case study examines the nine month process from initial seed germination to fruition, highlighting the methods and procedures used to assist the librarian, step by step, on the road to revise nearly the entire library budget. Key activities include timeline development, focus/trial group membership selection, training session organization, evaluation form design, collection of patron preferences, and new contract negotiation with vendors and stakeholders.

Education Session 2

Author Matching at Mathematical Reviews
Elizabeth Downie, Mathematical Reviews
10:00 – 10:30 a.m.

At Mathematical Reviews, we pride ourselves on the work we do with matching author profiles. Through a combination of in-house systems and author disambiguation experts, we work hard to ensure each paper is attributed to the correct author profile. We do this using criteria such as institution matches, coauthor matches, email address matches, and more. Each day we process around 500 authors, matching them to existing profiles or creating new profiles. For this presentation, I will describe how this process works and the work that goes into it. I will especially be focusing on the human element in how this work is done.

Morning Break 1
10:30 – 10:45 a.m.

Lightning Talks
10:45 – 11:45 a.m.

How to Create a Podcast
Lorene Kennard, University of St. Francis
10:45 - 10:55 a.m.

Building a Data Culture
Grant Halter, RAILS
10:55 - 11:05 a.m.

Cut the CRAAP
Marydee Ojala, Online Searcher
11:05 - 11:15 a.m.

Title TBA
Speaker TBA
11:15 - 11:25 a.m.

Accessibility in Research Collections
Ariel Robinson, Chicago History Museum
11:25 - 11:35 a.m.

Mathematical Reviews Citation Database
Eliot Johnson, American Mathematical Society (Mathematical Reviews)
11:35 - 11:45 a.m.

Morning Break 2
11:45 – 12:00 p.m.

Education Session 3

Ope, Just Gonna Become an Embedded Librarian
Alex Hauser, Michigan State University
12:00 – 12:30 p.m.

Academic librarians often wear a variety of hats, collections, instruction, and outreach librarian are just some of them. We constantly strive for increased engagement with both students and faculty in our liaison areas with embedded librarianship held up as the ultimate goal. An academic librarian for human resources and labor relations was called upon to join the instruction team for a group of independent study students in that department in a new experiential learning style program. Students would work with an outside "client" to conduct company and industry research and get a taste of the real world work they might be tasked with completing. Program coordinators understood the importance and tricky nature of this type of research so brought in the HRLR Librarian to facilitate research check-ins every other week of the semester. This was the first ever opportunity for repeated instruction sessions with students for the librarian and allowed the librarian to introduce various appropriate resources and serve as a research guide, answering questions that arose while students conducted their own research. This also meant that the librarian needed to think programmatically about the tasks the students were asked to complete as well as develop instruction plans, expectations for students, and rapport with the students, things that are not needed in as much detail for one-shot sessions. This session will discuss some of the high and low points of this type of work, provide tips for connecting with students, and discuss how to make this type of small group work inclusive and engaging for participants.

Closing General Session

Miguel Figueroa, Amigos Library Services
12:30 – 12:45 p.m.

Miguel Figueroa, President and Chief Executive Officer, Amigos Library Services will deliver the closing session on how special libraries can use trendspotting to plan new initiatives and services that will assist their users.

All-Attendee Networking & Discussion
12:45 – 1:00 p.m.

All attendees are invited to discuss the future of special library services. The platform will remain open for those who want to stick around and network.

Eric A. Edwards
Interlibrary Loan Librarian
Illinois State Library
Gwendolyn Brooks Building
300 S. 2nd Street
Springfield, Illinois  62701-1796
eedwards at ilsos.gov
(217) 558-1928
(217) 782-4446--Fax

Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than to notify the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and delete this email from your system. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.