[ArchivesSpCollig] registration open for webinar "Finding Your People: Exploring the Past, Present, and Future of Documenting Black Families in Special Collections and Archives" (Thurs., Feb. 9, 12:30-2:00 PM CDT)

Edwards, Eric A EEdwards at ILSOS.GOV
Fri Jan 27 14:40:16 UTC 2023

Please excuse any cross-posting.

(via Gwen Gregory, Northern Illinois University)

Please join the Southern Historical Collection at UNC-Chapel Hill's Wilson Special Collections Library for a virtual panel discussion. Titled "Finding Your People: Exploring the Past, Present, and Future of Documenting Black Families in Special Collections and Archives", the discussion will take place on Thursday, February 9, from 12:30 to 2:00 PM CDT.

The Black family, its structure, representation, and characteristics seem to be a near-constant topic of question and conjecture in our society. What role do archives play in these discussions and our understanding of the Black family?

This panel discussion will bring together faculty researchers and archival practitioners to discuss the representation of Black families in the archive, the history, and impact of collecting, examine where we are at this current moment, and what the future of Black family collections might look like.

This virtual event is co-sponsored by the Andrew W. Mellon Fellowship for Diversity, Inclusion & Cultural Heritage at Rare Book School.

Register at https://unc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_U5LfmlKYRb2C_kDzby9BuA.

Eric A. Edwards
Interlibrary Loan Librarian
Illinois State Library