[CARLIdeicomm] AI event program from CARLI?

Tolbert, Marisa marisab2 at uillinois.edu
Mon Sep 9 13:27:11 UTC 2024

Good morning,

I am forwarding an email on behalf of the CARLI Public Services Committee, RE: Potential AI program from CARLI (below the dashed line). If you are wanting to provide feedback, please send responses to Elizabeth Clarage (clarage at ullinois.edu<mailto:clarage at ullinois.edu>), Denise Green (dgree1 at uillinois.edu<mailto:dgree1 at uillinois.edu>), and/or Amy Maroso (maroso at uillinois.edu<mailto:maroso at uillinois.edu>), the liaisons for the CARLI Public Services Committee.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you are willing to provide.

Marisa

Marisa Tolbert
(Mah-ree-sah Toll-burt)
Pronouns: they/she<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.glsen.org/activity/pronouns-guide-glsen__;!!DZ3fjg!9_U4Kfi8FVw1RUylNFHS3wU1RDNZoIRUlLDOMPVEsbWYnQm9zGRk7Ob4To62MgMxsFNDA5IjHP_zD8y8qWEc6vaNm8jzGR7t$ >
Library Services Coordinator
Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI<https://www.carli.illinois.edu/>)
marisab2 at uillinois.edu<mailto:marisab2 at uillinois.edu>

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University of Illinois employees regarding U of I business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

Greetings, CARLI Committee Leaders,

After a successful program<https://www.carli.illinois.edu/public-services-committee-ai-event> this summer on generative AI and academic libraries, the Public Services Committee is exploring the feasibility of a CARLI-wide AI symposium for some time around April or May of 2025 that would cover a variety of concrete topics related to AI and libraries. We are contacting you to see if your committee would be interested in pursuing this idea more.

If so,
1. What programs/topics would your committee be interested in?
2. What would be your preference for modality: in-person event or a Zoom webinar?

We think that this could have the potential to bring together CARLI Committees and library workers from diverse library positions. Examples of topics could be: using assistive AI for discovery of research sources, an overview of AI in commercial products, AI tools for cataloging and other Technical Services processes, uses and/or information literacy of AI in library instruction, AI chatbots for Reference, and AI and patron privacy, racism, and ethics.

Please let us know if you have any questions and respond by September 27 so that we may plan accordingly.